Sunday, December 15, 2002

I'm not a big fan of holidays, especially Christmas. I love getting out of school or work for a few days, and there's a few other good things about Christmas (i.e. food), but mostly it's just a month long hassle. I particularly hate Christmas music, which brings me to the point of this post: the worst Christmas song in history. There's a lot of rotten holiday music, but nothing compares to the most criminally vile and nauseous Christmas song known to man or beast: "Please, Daddy (Don't Get Drunk This Christmas)". This absolutely appalling monstrosity was a big holiday hit on the US country & western charts in the mid to late 70's, I think. In my research the only name I could attach to it from that era was the dreaded John Denver. The loathsome Alan Jackson did a version in the early nineties. (Country singers just don't have any sense of taste or decency, do they?) Thankfully I haven't heard this musical abomination in years, but I live in fear that suddenly one Christmas while sitting down to dinner with my parents it'll suddenly erupt from the radio like projectile vomit. Then I'll have no other choice but to commit seppuku with a carving knife right there. It'll be a Christmas no one will forget.

No comments: