Wednesday, August 27, 2003

Get me out of here.

It's going to be a long, long semester. On tuesday nights I have a class on operating systems and one of the things we're going to cover is Linux. I have strong doubts the teacher knows the first thing about Linux. I'm by no means a Linux expert, but even I knew a lot of the information he provided was wrong. He told us Gnome was a text editor, like Notepad. The mind reels. What is Gnome? Well, if you don't know anything about Linux/Unix systems, it's too complicated to go into, but the short version is that it's a desktop environment. Saying it's a text editor is almost, but not quite, as bad as saying Windows is a text editor.

Later in the class he tried to start the Linux distribution, Knoppix, inside of Windows. I've never used Knoppix, but I know you don't run it inside of Windows.

I'm really disappointed in this teacher. He's been working with computers since the early to mid 70's and has forgotten more about computers than I'll ever know, but I just can't fathom him coming into a class and spewing nonsense the way he did. You'd think he'd take the time to learn what he's teaching.

Did I correct him? Hell, no. He's the teacher, not me.

No comments: