Thursday, August 21, 2003

Adventures in bad surrealism.

A few years ago I worked as a temp in a textile mill. My job was trying to track down errant cuts of fabric that were supposed to go in shipping containers. One night while looking at some paperwork, I saw that the containers were headed to places like Mexico, El Salvador, Guatemala, Columbia, etc. So I decided to have a little fun and began leaving what were supposed to be surreal little messages in Spanish in the containers. I'd write things like. "Mi baño es su baño", "Mi baño es muy loco" and "¡Los Baños!" What I thought I was writing were things like, "My slug is your slug", "My slug is very crazy" and "The Slugs! But, in my unfathomable stupidity, what I was actually writing was, "My bath is your bath", "My bath is very crazy", and "The Baths!" If any native Spanish speaker ever read any of my asinine messages I can only guess they thought they were the ravings of someone with some peculiar ideas about personal hygiene.

And in case you were wondering, the Spanish word for slug is babosa.

No comments: