Monday, May 26, 2003

Years ago when my sister had a pet snake, she would go to her local pet store and buy frozen rats in plastic bags. Once she mailed me one of the empty rat bags. (She's a lovely girl; I can't imagine why no lucky man hasn't married her.) The weirdest thing about this is that there's a factory out there someplace where people put frozen rats in bags for a living. It had a brand name, but I don't remember what it was. (I mailed the bag back to my sister.) You never hear about these kinds of factories. This area is economically on the decline because of the drawn out demise the Southern textile industry. On the local news there's regular reports about companies closing their doors and letting all their employees go. So when a company decides to come into this area it's always big news. Imagine hearing the following on the local news: "Good news for the Danville's unemployed, a company that bags and sells frozen rats will be moving into the area creating 150 new jobs." Nope. You're not going to hear anything like that. How would you like to shove frozen rats into plastic bags eight hours a day, five or six days a week? I've done similar things with pasta and pizza crusts and even that gets disgusting after a short period. I can't even imagine what it'd be like having frozen rats rolling down a conveyor belt at me all day every day.

No comments: