Tuesday, May 27, 2003

I've got one of those ceilings that's panels held in a metal frame. Above the panels is space about foot and half high with ductwork, light fixtures, wires, and other stuff. On those occasions when a mouse gets up there and runs around, its footsteps are amplified to the point where it sounds as if there's a small dog running back and fourth. As you would expect, it's very difficult to sleep when there's a mouse in the house. I have a long, storied history of mouse murder. I love animals, but things that keep me awake at night must die, so I put the traps on the panels right above my bed. And if I catch a mouse in a trap, and the trap doesn't kill them, I actually take them outside and release them. I know that makes me a total wuss, but so be it. I could never actually kill the thing myself, I just set the trap and hope that the mouse either leaves the house or dies a quick death in the trap. And if they're stupid enough to come back in, the traps will be reset and waiting.

I have another mouse. Since mice typically avoid lit areas, I left the light on all night and slept with a sock draped over my eyes. I only heard it once. Maybe it left.

No comments: