Monday, May 05, 2003

Here's a nice project I should try myself; I can fill up all that time that usually gets wasted in some typically asinine persuit (see below--anywhere). I can't imagine the amount of work it would take to transcribe all of one's old diaries, journals, etc. to a web page. I have 4,000 to 5,000 pages of crap, much of it illegible (especially the material from the past five and half years after I thought it'd be a good idea to start writing with a fountain pen; think Jackson Pollock).

Jackson Pollock's my favorite painter. Once in the early 90's I lost my mind for a month and decided that I was put on this earth to be a painter, and my main model was Pollock. Unlike Pollock, I had no talent, no place to paint, and practically no supplies to work with. So instead of rolling out an enormous piece of unmounted canvas on the floor of an unheated shack, I used pieces of typing paper taped to a piece of wood I'd pounded into the ground. And I didn't use brushes, I used firecrackers. I'd tape an M-80 (which is basically just a small stick of dynamite) to a board in front of the paper, glob some of my sister's old paint on it, light the fuse, and run like hell with my fingers in my ears. The results were interesting, but mainly all I succeeded in doing was frightening the cat.

No comments: