Tuesday, May 13, 2003

Sleep can be infuriating. Last night I went to sleep and slept for what seemed a long time. Later I woke up, fully expecting it to be morning, but when I looked at the clock I saw I'd only been asleep for forty minutes. If I dreaded getting up the next the day (like I tend to do), forty minutes would've been great because that would mean that I still had hours to sleep. But I since I didn't dread waking up the next day, and because I haven't been sleeping well recently, the idea of the morning being hours away seemed almost unendurable.

The flipside to the endless night is the rapid night. I've spent years dreading the next day for various reasons, usually a really crappy first shift job. The typical scenario I'd have to endure was this: I go to sleep, wake up five minutes later (or so I thought), and look at my clock to see that it's three minutes before the alarm is set to go off. What am I supposed to do in three minutes? I can't just roll over and go back to sleep the way I'd do if I found out it was four in the morning.

No comments: