Wednesday, June 04, 2003

I'm both outraged and horrified. I was watching TV and saw a Nissan commercial that was using the Velvet Underground's "Heroin" as its soundtrack. The Velvet Underground. In a commercial. Does Lou Reed need money that badly? Does he even have any control of the Velvet's catalog? What marketing jackass thought a song about a drug addict would entice yuppies to buy sport utility vehicles? Why do the brain-dead apes that make commercials have to take the things I love and cheapen them? First Nike used Iggy and the Stooges immortal, essential "Search and Destroy" in a commercial, and then the flood gates opened up. Mainly it's been Nissan that's been turning my cult favorites into jingles. They used the Buzzcocks. They used the Stooges. I think they're currently using the Ramones. (Or at least someone is.) And now the Velvet Underground. Next it'll probably be Big Star or XTC. Bastards! Marketing cretins, a pox on you all!

No comments: