Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Alligator Pear?

I was going to try and not post something that had anything at all to do with the damn Golden Book Encyclopedia, but I just couldn't resist. Actually, I just couldn't think of anything else to post.

Whilst perusing the volume I wrote about yesterday, I found an article on fruit that featured a world map showing where various fruits came from. One type of fruit caught my eye: alligator pear.



It looks like an avocado, doesn't it? Well, that's what it is, but apparently in the U.S. circa 1960 they called them alligator pears on those rare occasions they actually referred to them at all.

Pointless side note: last night I dreamed about a woman who was afraid to go down to her basement where the washer and drier were because there was a small alligator living behind them.

I think I ended up dreaming about the woman and the little alligator because I was reading about the damn alligator pear. Or maybe it was because I was looking at the picture shown below from one of my Dick and Jane books.

No comments: