Wednesday, October 08, 2003

A sudden, inexplicable change in direction.

I've always wanted to be in a band, but I have the musical skills of mistreated circus chimp. I also have the social skills of a cinder block, but that's another story. So, rather than sitting at home wallowing in my own crapulence, I've decided to throw caution to the wind and start a band. Sort of. I really don't want to get bogged down with a bunch of other people and I have no patience for things like rehearsing, recording, writing songs, etc. It's all just so exhausting. So I've decided to bypass all of the usual stuff that ends up being the downfall of bands both great and mediocre. What I've done is, at punishing financial cost, get a design team to come up with the cover art of my band's first six albums:1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6.

OK, it didn't cost me a cent to come up with this idiocy. I used a free program called n-Gen that randomly comes up with CD cover art, posters, etc. in five or six different styles. All I did was inter in the band name, album title, and select a style. It's limited, but interesting.

While searching Google for information on the program, I found some ridiculous ranting on a message board for professional designers. The first guy spews, "[...]This site will let non-designers whip up cliched design ingredients to create their own designs and bypass using a trained designer.[...]" A second designer responded with, "[...]They won't be around for long. As a friend of mine in Dallas says, 'Shame on them. Here's to their failure... the sooner, the better for all of us who are trying to maintain some semblance of dignity for our profession.'[...]" Later these two had experts come over to their houses and explain the jokes on the Tonight Show.

No comments: