Thursday, April 17, 2003

This morning I saw this boxy little car puttering down the highway. It had the word Charade printed across the hatchback lid. I'd never heard of this make of car before. Charade? My dictionary defines that word as, "an absurd pretense". Was the charade, I wondered, that this glorified golf cart would be passed off as a street vehicle? Or maybe the people who came up with the name didn't speak English natively. The car could just as easily been called Fester, Travesty, or Pancreas. Later I looked it up online and found out it was made by Daihatsu and has something of a fanatical following worldwide. To me it just looks like a Yugo. Not to put down Yugos, because they're so rare these days it's like seeing an Edsel or a Delorean. Ah, the glory days of the mighty Yugo. I've cleaned bigger stuff off the windshield of my Buick.

I once saw a Delorean on display at the local mall. They had it cordoned off so you couldn't lean on it, and there was a prominant sign reading, "DO NOT TOUCH". So, naturally, I touched it. The mall was practically empty at that time of the morning, therefore there was little chance I'd be caught. Anyway, to make a long pointless story even more long and pointless, I reached over and touched it quickly with the tip of my right index finger. Deloreans have stainless steel bodies and aren't painted; it was like touching a fork or spoon.

No comments: