Sunday, April 20, 2003

I used to love Easter, now it passes by almost unnoticed. It's nice to get a day or two off from work or school, but beyond that the holiday holds no interest to me. When I was little I loved it because of the chocolate rabbits, jellybeans, and the egg-hunt. Who wouldn't love a day where you get to pig out on candy? And I absolutely loved, and was fascinated by, boiled eggs. This is where the holiday starts to get weird in my memory. The more I think of the whole egg-hunt thing the more strange it seems. My cousins, my sister, and I would run around in my grandparents' yard looking for stinky boiled eggs that had been sitting on the ground for a half hour or more, and then we'd eat them. To my adult ears this ritual sounds disgusting and incomprehensible. What genuine appeal did it hold for us? I just don't get it. Boiled eggs? They might as well have hidden cans of baked beans.

No comments: