Tuesday, March 18, 2003

Yesterday I found a bunch of Rhodesian web pages. What's so special about that? Well, Rhodesia stopped being a country in 1980. (After white minority rule ended it became Zimbabwe.) I don't know why I never considered that displaced Rhodesians would be so organized and nostalgic. Fascinating stuff. (I say that a lot, don't I? One day it'll be true, I promise.) This material is great to dig through if you're like me (and I hope for your sake you're not at all like me) and have a long-standing interest in post colonial Africa and obscure wars of the past fifty years or so. This site is the most comprehensive when it comes to the military stuff, but beware the occasional white supremacist rhetoric. This site's an online library of various books about Rhodesia, but unfortunately their selection isn't that great. If you want Rhodesian merchandise (come on, there must be at least five or six non-Rhodesians that do) try here. These sites have links to many other similar sites; it's an entire hidden world that few know about. (This isn't interesting to you at all, is it?)

No comments: