Saturday, March 01, 2003

While looking through my change this morning, I found a weird coin with a squid on one side and bull's head on the other. It's copper and slightly smaller than a penny. The words "TÍA AURAR ISLAND 1981" are stamped on the side with the bull's head and there's a number 10 on the squid side. I'd never heard of this Tía Aurar Island before and couldn't imagine where it was, so I looked it up at Google and was directed to a site dealing with coins. The answer shocked me: it's Icelandic. The "Tía Aurar" refers to the denomination of the coin, not the name of the island. Strange. How does an Icelandic coin end up circulating in a hick town like Danville, Virginia? And even stranger is that it would end up in the hands of someone with an odd obsession with Iceland.

No comments: