Sunday, March 09, 2003

I've visited what just may be an illegal copy of the entire web. Or if not that, then something almost as bizarre and incomprehensible. I was doing my usual morning blog-reading rounds, when I saw this link at Bob's. It's an unauthorized Japanese mirror of her blog. But it gets worse. I tried some of the links on the mirror site and instead of just being Bob's links, they were Japanese mirrors of her links. And the links on most of those pages were Japanese mirrors, and so on into infinity. And it's not just blogs that are mirrored; I found mirrors of Blogger, MTV, and the Guardian UK also. (Sorry, I didn't copy the URL's to those pages.) I followed links for over an hour, but it just kept going. I thought at first that this was merely the work of an overenthusiastic fan, but it's so huge that it could have only been done by a script of some sort. No amount of speedfreaks could have put this together. I was hoping, of course, to find my own page in there, but I just got worn out. It's strange, people, go have a look.

No comments: