Saturday, February 08, 2003

I'm old. Really, really old. Ancient even. This numbing fact was hammered home last night while listening to some records. (You know, vinyl.) I still haven't bought a new CD player to replace the one that died before Christmas, so I've been listening to creaky old vinyl and cassettes I bought back in the 80's. I've been playing Hüsker Dü's New Day Rising way too much lately, so I dug out the first Clash album and the first and third Velvet Underground albums. It was that damn first Velvet Underground album that got me. I looked at the worn, moldy sleeve (and for you younger readers, the sleeve is that square cardboard thing the big flat round thing goes into) and realized that this reissue that I bought in 1985 was as old now as the original 1967 album would've been in 1985. Ugh. And I'm not even going to mull over the Devo album I bought back in 1979.

No comments: