Friday, February 14, 2003

All this talk about hoarding duct tape, plastic sheets, and provisions for three weeks or more in case of terrorist chemical gas attack reminds me of something I saw when I worked as a temp at the school for snooty rich girls. I was one two or three other guys they had doing odd jobs, moving furnature, etc. Anyway, we had to go down to a storage room to get something and this storage room was in fact a cold war era bomb shelter. I'm just over six feet tall and I couldn't stand up straight in there because the ceiling was too low. Imagine being trapped in there during a nuclear strike and having to walk around with bent knees the whole time. Of course being trapped in a fallout shelter during WWIII with a load of teenage girls, I imagine standing up would be the least of my worries, but I digress... Now, onward to the point of this interminable story. The shelter had a couple of big hand-cranked air blowers to bring in air from the outside. Remarkably, they still worked. I asked one of the other guys (the smart one who'd actually dropped out of a four year college instead of community college like me), "If everything outside of the shelter was radioactive then wouldn't the air they pumped in also be radioactive?" He just said, "Uh...yeah."






No comments: