Tuesday, November 25, 2003

Nerd-Fest 2003.

Sometimes it takes so little to entertain me. Yesterday I went to my local thrift store and dug a 34 year old computer book out of the moldering stacks. If you really must know the title and author, it's Computer Data Processing by Gordon B. Davis. The book looks almost brand new, but one look at the contents betrays its Model-T technology. It's got all these great pictures of punch cards and punch card machines, it's a shame I don't own a scanner or I'd inflict a huge quantity of this book's illustrations on you. I find all this stuff incredibly fascinating. Like I've said many times before, humor me.

Well, I may not have a scanner, but I am capable of digging up links at Google.

Douglas W. Jones' punched card index may quench most of your thirst for punch card information.

The Punch Card Gallery is exactly what it says it is. Clever, no?

Herman Hollerith was the first person to put punch cards to practical use in tabulating data. The company he founded in the 1890's was later named IBM.

Everything about Punch Cards is a Dutch online museum. It's in English, though. Don't worry. I know you were all in a panic there for a few seconds when you read the word Dutch.

A cultural history of the punch card. God, at this point I'm even starting to bore myself.

No comments: