Thursday, November 06, 2003

I Remember.

I've been in a gloomy, reflective mood lately, and I've been busy with school, so I haven't been coming up with anything really worth reading over the past week or so. In an attempt to kick myself into gear, I dug out my old "I remember" notebook that I kept for the last half of summer 2001. The technique I used was to write short autobiographical scenes that started with the words, "I remember". This technique has been used a lot, but most effectively by the late artist/writer Joe Brainard, who's usually given credit for inventing it. I've written about using this technique before, and material from this notebook I kept has ended up here on more than a few occasions. If you've never experimented with "I remember", you should probably try it; it's a fascinating way to accumulate an autobiography. It's also a fascinating way to do to do a blog.

No comments: