Tuesday, December 02, 2003

How the Gods Kill

Well, the inevitable has happened, my computer has flaked out to the point where it doesn't boot up at all. My new system won't even be here until sometime next week. So that means the blog posts are really going to get intermittent now. My only convenient options are school computers or my parents' piece of junk. And my parents' computer is on its last legs. Today I turned it on and it started making this high pitched ringing noise. Then I had to run Chkdsk from safe mode to get the thing to boot. I'm guessing the harddrive's going bad. What are the odds of both computers malfunctioning at the same time? Apparently I've angered the computer gods in strange and profound ways.

I thought the Linux installation would last longer than it did. When it went bad, it really went bad. At one point all I had was the command line. There were files on the desktop I really needed to copy onto that drive's fat32 partition, so I spent some quality time this morning typing in stuff like

cp -i *.txt /mnt/windows/

Lovely. Educational.

No comments: