Thursday, December 04, 2003

The Gaping Chasm of Boredom.

What the hell did I do before I got internet access? These days I find myself roaming from room to room, a haunted man, like Orson Welles toward the end of Citizen Cane. (Or at least I think there was a scene like that in Citizen Cane; I haven't seen it in fifteen years.)

I suppose I could read. At one time in my life I used to read these things called novels. How long's it been since I read a novel? A couple of years? I'm surrounded by books, but yet I rarely if ever read them anymore.

Yesterday afternoon I found myself lying on the couch watching professional poker. Yes, poker. On TV. I suppose next I'll break down and begin to watch the innumerable home improvement programs that pollute the airwaves. Let's all hope it doesn't come to that.

The demise of my PC is doubly awful because it wasn't just a computer, it was also my stereo. My CD player died a few weeks before last Christmas and I never replaced it, so I've been playing CD's in my PC for the past year. Now the PC doesn't work. So I have to play vinyl and cassettes for the next week or so. Luckily I have a kickass record collection.

Before I sign off, I have a horrible confession to make: This entire entry was composed in Notepad on Windows 3.1. [Sobs uncontrollably and collapses to the floor.]

No comments: