Tuesday, December 30, 2003

Cloak of Invisibility.

I hate it when people recognize me. Today I was walking across the parking lot of the lousy mall in my hometown when I heard someone call my name. Actually it didn't quite happen that way. I was walking across the parking lot of the lousy mall in my hometown when I saw the truck of a guy I used to work with. I pretended I didn't see him, but he called me and I was stuck having to go and talk. It's not that I didn't like the guy, it's that I'm pretty much a misanthrope. I didn't want to talk to anyone. But I digress. Actually this story has no real point, so technically I'm not digressing. Or maybe I'm doing nothing but digressing. Anyway, I couldn't help but notice that the guy I used to work with had a baby with him. He told me he was married and had a kid now. He had also been laid off from our old loathsome place of employment (a large textile manufacturer teetering on the brink of collapse). Usually people are pleased to hear it when someone has a new baby, but whenever I hear about someone having a baby, especially if they don't have a good job or they're unemployed, but I find it depressing because I can't help but imagine what an awful life the baby's in for. Of course I never say anything about it because it's none of my business and it's more a reflection of my mental problems than anything else, I imagine. (See, I told you this rambling post wasn't going anywhere. You're all probably wishing I'd go back on hiatus again, aren't you?)

No comments: