Sunday, February 26, 2006

Scratchy

The always excellent and strange Ubuweb now has some 1930's recordings of Gertrude Stein. The short excerpt from Making of Americans is particulary interesting. Well, particularly interesting to me.

And speaking of Ubuweb, yesterday I sent them an email asking if any recordings of Samuel Beckett's voice existed. Oddly, I got a quick reply from someone named Kenneth: "I'm with you. I'd love to hear Beckett reading but no of such documents. If they should surface, we'll get them up on UbuWeb." I couldn't care less if it was a recording of Beckett reading, I just want to hear his voice. Even if it was simply him saying, "Turn that damn thing off!" I'd love to hear it and I know I'm not the only one. Since I first wrote about this back in 2003, I've gotten multiple hits for people searching for recordings of Beckett's voice. The man didn't die until 1989; recordings must exist.

No comments: