Monday, July 12, 2004

Digging Through the Junk.

I was bored out of my mind this morning, so I decided to take a trip to Goodwill to dig through the garbage. I so enjoy picking through the detritus of other people's lives. Anyway, I hit the vinyl albums first this time. Typically I don't dig through the vinyl because it takes a long time and there's rarely anything interesting in there. Once I found some belly dancing albums. I stupidly bought only one of them. I went back later to see if they were still there and, of course, they were all gone.

Today wasn't any different from any other time I've looked through the vinyl. Lots of dreck; little of interest. I thought I hit pay dirt when I found a copy of Booker T and the MG's Hip Hug-Her. I pulled the record out of the battered sleeve and it was something else entirely. Something stupid. I don't remember the title. It got tossed it back into the pile and I kept searching.

I don't know why I dig through old records. I guess I hope that one day I'll find something really cool or rare, like maybe an original printing of a Velvet Underground album, the Yardbirds, a Robert Johnson 78, or something, anything, but all I ever see is stuff like Mantovani, Andy Williams, and Leo Sayer. (Did anyone who bought a Leo Sayer album ever keep it?) I did once find a rare copy of the Weirdos' Who? What? When? Where? Why? That was an odd thing to pop up in this town. And that's also the best thing I've ever found digging through thrift store vinyl, I think. That's sad.

No comments: