Thursday, February 28, 2008

When in Rome

When you walk in the front door of Spacely Sprockets, the first thing you see are an American flag and a Virginia state flag. A few days ago while passing close to the Virginia flag I contemplated once again the strange image that appears in the middle. It's the Seal of Virginia, which shows a toga-clad woman standing over a prostrate man dressed sort of like a gladiator. What ancient Romans have to do with Virginia is anyone's guess, but it's an interesting image for two reasons. One, it has a dead guy, and, two, it's got a boob. Viginia may very well be the only state out of fifty with a dead guy or a boob on its flag. Truthfully, what I noticed that day when I walked past the flag was the boob. I don't think I'd ever really paid that much attention to it before because I was looking at the dead guy. Anyway, I made a helpful graphic.



Incidentally, the woman with the boob is the Roman goddess Virtus. And, again, what the hell any of this has to do with Virginia is anyone's guess.

No comments: