Thursday, September 02, 2004

I Can't Find Anything

I have a favorites list longer than my arm. (Actually it's a bookmarks list since I'm using Firefox, but it's the same thing.) I can't find anything on it because there's no explanations of what anything is. I have a few things grouped in folders, but the majority of it is just one long, jabbering mess. I thought I'd figured out a solution when I decided in early July to do a bookmarks blog using the spiffy BlogThis! tool to quickly post to it as I browsed. This worked great until I'd try to find something. Since Blogger has no categories, if I want to find something, I basically have to scroll through an entire month of posts. Fun. To make searching easier, I put a Google search tool at the bottom of the page fairly early on, but it's practically useless. I'd say 2/3's of the time Google comes up empty-handed. So the bookmarks blog just doesn't work. I have two months of entries in no particular order that I can't even search with any sense of confidence that I'll be able to find whatever it is I'm looking for.

When looking for a solution to this problem, I downloaded a couple of different favorites/bookmarks organizers in hopes that I'd find something easy and quick that would allow me to actually be able to find what I'm looking for when I want to find it. None of the organizer programs looked like they'd solve my problem. But I didn't really want a program that would organize my bookmarks. I love the idea of my bookmarks blog because my bookmarks would be online so I could easily access them no matter where I was browsing.

A few days ago I stumbled across del.icio.us again. I'd seen this before, but had forgotten about it. I signed up yesterday and started playing around with it. Interestingly, it's pretty much the same thing as my Blogger bookmarks blog, except it has categories. It also may be quicker than using BlogThis! with Blogger. I'm sold.

No comments: