Thursday, October 14, 2004

Altered books, etc.

A couple of days ago in my comments for the A Humament post, Cindy mentioned book altering, a subject I didn't know that much about. Surprisingly, there's quite a bit online about it. I'm not sure I like the idea of tons of people ruining books, but it's a fascinating subject and I do like a lot of the examples I've seen.

Art-E-Zine's Altered Books page is probably the best showing of what books look like once they've been altered. It's a graphics heavy site, so be warned.

Who would've known there's an International Society of Altered Book Artists?

Jenny's Altered Books has several galleries of her work, whoever she is. Nice stuff.

The Altered Book Main Page has galleries, tips, links, etc.

Apparently some people mail the books and let others work on them along some kind of altered book network. That, naturally, reminds me of Mail Art.

The Electronic Museum of Mail Art is probably as good as any place to start to see actual Mail Art.

MAIL ART 1955 to 1995: Democratic art as social sculpture is someone's thesis.

Fan Mail appears to be new works from over 150 artists.

A.1.Mail Art Archive is a new blog I ran across recently.

Mail Art sprang out of Fluxus. I've never really understood Fluxus, but then I don't think I've ever seriously tried to understand it.

No comments: