Friday, October 17, 2003

Codex Seraphinianus

I got a hit yesterday from someone searching Google for Codex Seraphinianus, possibly the most bizarre book ever published. I wrote a couple of sentences on the book several months ago, but I don't know why anyone would go through ten pages of search results to get to my pitiful two line mention. Anyway, I've compiled several excellent links on the Codex. The sites approach the book from many angles: scary math, labored explanation, and simply presenting some of the book's images. My initial post on the Codex was inspired by an entry at Giornale Nuovo, an excellent blog that deals with books, illustrations, art, and other subjects.

I don't own a copy of Codex Seraphinianus. The only time I ever saw it was when my sister came home from college for Thanksgiving and brought the copy from the school library. If you've never seen it, I can't really describe the strangeness of this book. Some of the links above have illustrations, but they only give a brief taste. I haven't seen the book since 1986, I think. One day I'll get a copy, but like most things in my life I'm going to have to wait for it.

My sister also hasn't seen the book since 1986. Not long after she returned the book it disappeared.

No comments: